Friday, April 28, 2006

Dotting Demo

Several Blue.Us users have requested more posts on the blog from developers (our excuse: too busy building features). In any case, I've temporarily ascended from my "development dungeon" today (inspired, in large part, by the 70 degree Seattle weather) to talk a little bit about Dotting, one of my favorite Blue.Us features (in my best 80's Shake-n-Bake commercial voice: And I Helped!). One of the coolest things about Dotting is that you don't need to install any software -- in most cases, you can just drag the links into your toolbar and you're ready to go. For those who haven't yet seen Dotting in action, I put together a brief video which demonstrates (in all the fuzzy glory that is Flash video at 425x350) the installation process, followed by a quick floor lamp shopping exercise. So, it's that simple ... if that was tough to follow, here's the rundown of the action:
  1. Click the "Set up Dotting" link.
  2. Drag the "Dot This!" link to links toolbar.
  3. Visit a Web site (in this case, I chose lamp shopping, because that's what all developers do on the Internet).
  4. Click the "Dot This!" link in the toolbar. This is where the "magic" happens -- notice that Blue.Us has automatically selected an image, categorized the page as "Shopping", and extracted a description of the item. Since every field is optional, I could publish it right away -- in this case, I type a simple comment, add a tag (notice the tag auto-completion as I type), and rate it. This will help me later when I compare all of the other lamps I find on the Web (seriously, developers shop for lamps on the Internet ALL the time).
  5. Finally, I click publish, and I'm all finished. Notice how I never need to leave the page I'm on while Dotting -- you can even Dot while watching the Dotting video demo (<keanu>whoa</keanu>).
This can be simplified even further -- if you'll allow me to borrow the Pavlovian phrase of an ex-co-worker: "Push button, get banana chip". Enough said. -Derek Slager

5 Comments:

Blogger Adam Phillabaum said...

Nice Derek. I hope to see some more posts from the devs!

you should think about writing about the technology that drives the autocompletion. How do you select the text to autoquote? How do you autoselect the category? etc.

4/28/06, 7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. the demo is great!

5/1/06, 8:34 PM  
Blogger Jon Keto said...

Was the lamp exercise supposed to be a bad pun?

5/18/06, 2:20 AM  
Blogger Derek said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5/18/06, 1:52 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

Assuming you're talking about the OSS LAMP stack ... it wasn't an intentional pun. Nor would it have been an accurate one, unless we wanted to reshape it as Linux/Apache/MySQL/Proprietary :)

5/18/06, 1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home